- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 3 T. chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 c. plus 2 T. Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 c. ricotta cheese (preferably whole-milk)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 t. salt, cook until onion is softened and beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste is distributed., about a minute. Add ground beef, cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the diced tomatoes (undrained) into a large measuring cup, add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
- When the meat is browned, scatter the lasagna noodles evenly over the top of the meat (do not stir). Pour the diced tomatoes and water, and the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the noodles. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring once or twice during cook time, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in the 1/2 c. Parmesan. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Dollop rounded tablespoons of the ricotta evenly over the top, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, to let the ricotta warm through. Sprinkle with the basil and remaining 2 T. Parmesan.
Leave a Reply