- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 medium Vidalia onions or other sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup of finely diced carrots
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup red wine (I used DaVinci Chianti)
- 2 28 ounce cans fire roasted crushed tomatoes (You can use regular but try to use fire roasted if available)
- 2 28 ounce cans pureed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over med/high heat. Add the ground veal being careful not to crowd the pot. Cook over med/high heat until browned and remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, add the beef to the pot and cook until browned. Remove with slotted spoon and add to the bowl with the veal. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat and repeat with the pork. Drain all the fat and brown the sausage. Remove the sausage with the spoon and add to the meat mixture. Do not drain the fat.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to the pot and cook until the onions are translucent and softened stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and oregano, continue to cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add the wine to the pot and scrape any brown bits left on the bottom, stir and let the wine cook down for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meat mixture to the onions and stir to combine. Add all four cans of tomatoes and stir thoroughly. Stir in the parsley, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for approximately 2-3 hours stirring occasionally. Before serving, taste the sauce for seasoning….since this is a large recipe you may need to adjust the sugar, salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
Leave a Reply