- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup double cream (omit for a vegan recipe)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 green chilli
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon (around 4 tbsp)
- cup mung beans, washed, soaked and boiled with a pinch of bicarbonate of soda until
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup spinach, chopped and blanched
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Heat the sunflower and mustard oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds (wait for them to pop), then add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and fry until aromatic. Add the tomato puree, turmeric, coriander seed powder and water. Bring to the boil.
- Add the mung beans, blanched spinach, salt and lemon juice and allow to boil for four to five minutes. Add the chopped coriander.
- Blend until roughly pureed (I used an immersion blender but you can use whatever blender you have).
- Return to the pan and bring to a low simmer and add the cream. Remove from the heat and check the seasoning. Garnish with more chopped coriander if you like.
- NOTE: If you have a pressure cooker then you can simply pressure cook the raw mung beans after step three, then blend.
Leave a Reply