- 4 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1 medium head (approx. 2lbs) cauliflower
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400
- Trim cauliflower florets from the stalk. Discard stalk. Cut florets into 1-2 ince pieces. Steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes until firm but tender.
- Spread the florets out onto a paper towel to dry while making the cheese sauce
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium high heat, add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for about 1-2 minutes to get rid of the flour taste.
- Add the mustard powder, pinch of cayenne, black pepper and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the milk in a steady stream whisking the whole time so that the mixture stays creamy.
- Season with salt and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- When mixture thickens, add the cheese one handful at a time. Taste the sauce and adjust the salt/pepper as needed.
- Spread the cauliflower florets into a 2 quart baking dish (or iron skillet), spoon the sauce over the top and sprinkle about 2 tbs of cheese over the top. Bake until browned and bubbly – about 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Leave a Reply